Me vs Me. April 4 — May 8th.
New works by Porous Walker aka Jimmy DiMarcellis and guests
April 4th — May 8th, 2009
Opening Reception Saturday, April 4, 6 – 9 pm
Jimmy DiMarcellis' (aka Porous Walkers') latest exhibition, 'Me vs. Me' is a 'self-help manual' response to the artist's recent diagnosis of enjoying a 'bipolar disorder' and attempt at self-medication before seeking medical treatment.
The artist's body of work is a combination of old and new, featuring recent drawings, along with a new series of mixed media sculptures, architectural models of dreams and a sculptural portrait series of artists that give Jimmy/Porous an 'art boner'. Enlightening and gleefully wicked parables are intricately described by playful scenes and dioramas built of toys, electronics, food and other found human objects within Porous' sculpture installations, drawings and catchphrases.
“Porous left a very cushy job at the end of 2008 right in the storm of a global economic panic and unemployment at a all time high. Porous decided there was no better time but the present to dive headfirst into the shit, after 9 straight years of nonstop work and pressure. The 'off time' forced Porous to face some internal struggles with his mental health, after being diagnosed 'bipolar' Porous chose to physically construct his imbalances over the course of days leading up to medicated times.”
– Jimmy DiMarcellis
The artist will be in attendance and refreshments will be served. A special musical performance may be enjoyed if Yong-Ki brings his drumkit and Isaac brings his trumpet. Following the thread of multiple personalities, special guest artists have also been invited to add to the installation. Treats from Anthony's Cookies, located next door to Receiver will also be featured.
Prizes and Money will also be given away at random throughout the evening.
Caution: Parts of this exhibition contain explicitly adult sexual situations and imagery. Please be aware of this before bringing children, conservatives or uptight, emotionally juvenile mortgage brokers to view the show.
This show, and our 2009 arts calendar, is supported in part by Southern Exposure’s Alternative Exposure grant. Thank you SOEX!
About the Artist(s)
Porous Walker is a person who just wants to believe in love, magic and the possibilities of making things real. His artwork has been featured in magazines and galleries around the world. His art is a reflection of the concepts and ideas derived from observing and absorbing the worlds around him. Jimmy DiMarcellis once worked as a Jet Ski Repairman in Panama City Beach Florida.
- 2009 Ferris Bueller, The Believe Inn, Chicago, IL
- 2006 Zune Launch Event, Element, Los Angeles, CA
- 2005 Daily Dose, Low Gallery, San Francisco, CA
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Jay Howell, Ferris Plock & Porous Walker, Okay Mountain, Austin, TX
- Trace Elements, San Francisco Arts Commission, San Francisco, CA
- Ambiguous Artists Paddles, Ambiguous Skate Park, Santa Ana, CA
- Post Wood, Monster Children Gallery, Australia
- Collabo Mask, Club 6, San Francisco, CA
- Fette's Anniversary, Fette's Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Army Man, Space Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Bridge Art Fair, Allegoric Space, London, England
- Choteau Showdown, City of St. Louis Public Space Installation, St. Louis, MO.
- Your Face Looks Like an Island, Receiver Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- One and OH, Park Life, San Francisco, CA
- Droppin Drawers, Okay Mountain, Austin, TX
- Zombies, Space Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Inside Outsiders, All Rise Gallery, Chicago, Illinois
- Doing The Backstroke in a Lake of Fire, Walled City Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- SUPASTORE, Elisabeth Paige Smith Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Hope is in The Stars, Camp Kindle, Los Angeles, CA HIV/AIDS Benefit Show
- You Are Beautiful, All Rise Gallery, Chicago, IL
- This is Not A Magazine Compendium Show, Milan, Italy
- Autopsy, Kilda East Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
- Contemplating Apocalyspe, The Brewery Project Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- This Is(Not) a Magazine, Senko Gallery, Denmark
- I Miss You, Keep-A-Breast Foundation, Los Angeles, CA
- After School Art, S.U.N. Arts, Laila Lounge, Brooklyn NY
- Trafik, So. Florida Arts Center, Miami, FL
- Hit The Deck, Subliminal Projects, Los Angeles, CA
- Fecal Face Anniversary Show, 111 Minna Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Can't Get No Satisfaction, Walled City Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Stan Smith - Adidas,The Wurst Gallery, Vancouver B.C., Canada
- Skate or Die, New Image Art Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Sketchel, Jeremyville Project, Melbourne, Australia
- Said and Done, Global Showcase, Vancouver B.C., Canada
- Fecal Face's Anniversary Show, 111 Minna Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Fresh Produce, Anno Domini Gallery, San Jose, CA
- The Board Show, Off The Preserve, Di Rosa Preserve, Napa, CA